2024 Provisional Regatta programme now available ..............
The History of the Boathouse at Paddy Freeman's park lake

The boathouse was built in 1923 by Newcastle City Council at the request of the Boat club to provide storage space for their model boats. It took a number of years of lobbying to get the Council to act. Club members rented individual lockers from the council and a Council rent collector came round and collected the rents right up until 1972 when the club as an organisation took over the rental of the entire building for a fixed sum.  The formal opening of the Boathouse by Alderman Henry Foster of Newcastle City Council took place on the 12th of April 1924.

The full history of the boathouse can be read by clicking on the link below which opens up a PDF document in a separate page. The document may be downloaded if required.